Not signed in (Sign In)

Vanilla 1.1.2 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    • CommentAuthorbetsy
    • CommentTimeJun 25th 2009

Does anyone else have ridiculous reactions to simple bug bites? It the past two months I have been bitten by a simple tiny black ant and a harmless spider and both times my foot swelled up twice the size with drainage at the site. It took weeks for the first bite to go away and now I have been bitten again. I have never had problems with insect bites. I went to the doctor and she insisted on giving me a tetnus shot, which also hurt for weeks. Just curious if anyone else has had this problem. Am I just becoming hypersensitive to everything?

Betsy
    • CommentAuthormom24
    • CommentTimeJun 30th 2009

Yes! My weird reactions started back in 2005 and have continued. I would have foot swelling or leg swelling so badly that I had to go to the ER once and to the regular dr. another time. I know for a fact that I'm severely allergic to fire ants (all types ... red or black) and also sensitive to spiders and bees. I'm on shots for the fire ant allergy, now, which seems to help somewhat. I also have my house treated so we don't have a ton of bugs in our house anymore (we used to get a lot of ants and spiders that would attack me for some reason!)
    • CommentAuthorbetsy
    • CommentTimeJun 30th 2009

Does the timing by any chance coincide with your being ss?

Betsy
    • CommentAuthormom24
    • CommentTimeJul 2nd 2009 edited

Sort of...

I started having some bug bite reactions the summer of '05. They got worse the next summer and in between then (the winter) was when I had my first several food reactions (at the time didn't know what they were). I then got pregnant with my 3rd child and was fine until I gave birth and then the reactions got really bad and I also had several more really bad bug bites. (One I think was a spider bite which caused some really bad symptoms including anxiety attacks, severe swelling and pain at the site, a really puffy face and flu like symptoms) at the time we had moved into a new house that wolf spiders all over the place...I'm fairly sure one bit me in my sleep, I had two puncture wounds on my arm... the others were for sure ant bites because I felt it and saw it when it got me (2 separate times) ... now I carry an epi pen with me incase I get stung by an ant again.

I just re-read your first post ... could that have been a black fire ant? I don't know where you live but I live in the south (USA) and they are very prevelant down here. In fact, they didn't come into our area until 2005 which cooresponds with me starting to react badly and being hypersensitive. The other thing is, I used to wonder if all the bug bites (a lot during the summer months) was weakening my system somehow, and causing me to later react to foods...maybe it was the other way around but I don't know for sure.)
    • CommentAuthorbetsy
    • CommentTimeJul 2nd 2009

I'm pretty sure they were black ants that bit me ...although my MD thinks they were spider bites by looking at the site of the bite. I didn't know there were black fire ants. I lived in Alabama for a few years and only encountered red fire ants. So I don't know if they are black fire ants or just regular black ants. I'm in Ohio now. Both times I was around a nest of black ants I ended up with these awful bites...ended up with cellulitis and on antibiotics. I seem to be tolerating Augmentin at the moment so I'm not as worried as I was a few days ago. I'm loading up on probiotics also, hoping the antibiotics won't undo all the progress I have made. Did you end up on antibiotics? It sounds like your bug problem and ss came around the same time also.....hmmmmmm
    • CommentAuthormom24
    • CommentTimeJul 3rd 2009

Betsy,
    What part of Ohio (Southern or northern?) Yes, black fire ants were news to me to, until I saw one bite me. It latched on to one of my toes and was for sure a fire ant. We have red and black ones down here where we live. They are called black imported fire ants and came from Argentina, most likely. They are a close relative to the red imported.

I went through a time where I was told it was spider bites, too...and I was diagnosed with cellulitis 3 times and was put on heavy antibiotics until I recognized that it was an allergic reaction. My primary symptom was that I would swell so quickly -- usually within 1-2 hours my whole leg would be swollen if I was stung/bitten on the back of my leg. It would be painful and red/blotchy red. It would continue to swell and change colors until it healed. It hurt a lot until it turned into an itchy rash (usually a week or two later). Thankfully I was diagnosed with a bad (4+) allergy to fired ants and put on shots for it. The last time I was stung four times and although it still hurt for like 2 days the swelling wasn't near as bad as it was ... and no systematic reaction, either.
    • CommentAuthorbetsy

So you don't use antibiotics any more when you get bit? Just allergy meds? I go back to the allergist in September....I'm going to ask if he will test me for fire ants. I live in the north east part of ohio. Did your bites get very red and almost blistery surrounding the bite site?
    • CommentAuthormom24

My bites get red ... like a red ring spread from the site of the bite...very swollen and sore. The bites will turn into little blisters "pustules" after a day or two. I didn't know fire ants had spread that far north but I'm sure it is possible. Every year that move a little bit further up. I do not take antibiotics any more for the bites. I take usually two antihistamines (allegra and claritin ... one at night and one in the morning) if its a really bad reaction I'll benadryl the first day and then switch over to the other meds. I also like combine the original meds with benadryl cream and cold packs.

When you've gotten bitten do the ants attach themselves to you (like they are trying to repeat biting you)? Are they in a huge mound or a lot of ants in a mound? Does it feel like a burning needle poking you? That is how I finally figured out what it was. I've never actually stepped in their mounds ... I'm very careful walking in grass, now ... everytime I've been bit it was a stray ant that got me it seems.
    • CommentAuthorbetsy

Pretty sure mine are stray ants. When I'm working in the garden i see where they are coming from...no mound though, like the red fire ants I know from AL. I don't actually recall being biten, but the two times I have encountered them I noticed a bite later in the day, red ring like you say. It gets pretty scary looking, that's why I went to the Doc the second time. The first time it stayed swollen for two weeks. This time as soon as I got on the antibiotics it started getting better. I run when I see ants now.....sounds ridiculous but I'm sure you understand. I'm going to try the allergy meds next time.
    Betsy,have you lived on Alabama?I live outside of Birmingham
    • CommentAuthorbetsy
    • CommentTimeJul 4th 2009

I have lived in Alabama....I moved back up north in 98. I visit often though. My two oldest children live just outside of Huntsville ( where we once lived) My son went to the University of ALabama....He lives and breathes Crimson Tide! My oldest daughter met my son's best freiend at his wedding and they will be married in two weeks in Huntsville. I'll be there for a few days. I love it there....hope to convince my husband to retire there. Have you lived there all of your life?

Betsy
    yes,I have a daughter in law whom lives in huntsville with 4 grandchildren,and we also live and breathe Alabama football.Roll Tide.Its a small world isn't it.
    Jean
    • CommentAuthorbetsy
    • CommentTimeJul 4th 2009

hahaha it is.....glad to hear your a crimson tide fan and not Auburn
    • CommentAuthorRita
    • CommentTimeJul 5th 2009

Speaking of bug bites, I got bitten last night by a mosquito while celebrating the 4th. I couldn't stand the itching, so I put some bug medicine that stops itching on. It did contain phenol, but I was desperate. This morning I woke up with a sore arm, and the lymph nodes under one arm seem swollen. The pain is slowly moving down my arm now. I HOPE IT IS NOT WEST NILE! I don't know if it is west nile or the medicine. If you guys don't here from me after this, I'm probably dead. Has anyone else had pain after a mosquito bite?
    • CommentAuthorTeefee61
    • CommentTimeJul 6th 2009

How are you today, Rita? Not dead, I hope?
    • CommentAuthorlindyd

Please don't Rita... we would miss you!
    Love Lindy xx
    are you sure it was a mosquito?onee time my daughter was bitten like that and had a swollen lymp node and we found a tick.of course mosquitos can be bad too,how are you now?jean
    • CommentAuthorRita

Thanks guys.......I'm still alive, but still in lots of pain. My arm hurts, and I feel like I have a kink in my neck. Stiffness of the neck is a symptom, but it probably is just a kink. There is no rash or fever so......but it could take up to 5 days to come on so.......I'm not completely at ease here. There have been reports of West Nile in our area, and we have lost a lot of our bird popultion to it. The funny thing is, when I was heavily ss, I could sit out all summer long and the mosquitos would not come near me. I went for three summers without getting bit. As soon as I began to improve, the mosquitos found me again. It's weird.
    • CommentAuthorRita
    • CommentTimeJul 8th 2009 edited

Did you guys all see the Michael Jackson memorial? I wept through the whole thing.
    • CommentAuthorTeefee61
    • CommentTimeJul 8th 2009

I saw the highlights on TV. MJ's daughter's speech was moving, poor little girl. I'm not a big MJ fan, but love watching the dances. I do get the impression from all the media hype that MJ was a frail, sensitive soul. It's sad, I hope he found happiness in his life.

Tx
    • CommentAuthorlindyd
    • CommentTimeJul 8th 2009

I caught a bit of it.. I'm not a fan either but do feel for his family.. having been bereaved a few months ago myself I can empathise.. I didn't like Paris being allowed on stage to talk & cry though ....bless her
    Lindy xx
    • CommentAuthorTEDDY
    • CommentTimeJul 9th 2009

Hi Rita

Hope you are feeling better. I have been bitten whilst on holiday and it caused swelling in my leg etc but I did not dare put anything on it. My Mum gets bitten terribly by them and they love my son and the doctor told him its due to his diabetes the blood tastes sweeter! Which I thought was bizzare but there you go. I don't usually get biten by them just unlucky this year I guess.

Yes Rita I watched Michael Jackson and I thought it was sad that the children were put through it and up on stage but that is just my personal opinion they were there with their family and I just hope they have a better life and are not put into the limelight the way Michael was from a young age. He was and is a legend but I felt so sorry for him what he went through with surgery and media are a lot to blame for portraying him the way they did. He did wonderfully trying to protect his children from the media I hope his family try to do the same for them and not let them in the public gaze.

I felt so sorry for them. Bless them

Take care all
    Teddy