Not signed in (Sign In)

Vanilla 1.1.2 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    • CommentAuthorlana
    • CommentTimeJan 8th 2009

Hi. I am new to this forum. I discovered that I have a salicylate intolerance by researching the possible causes of tinnitus. That is my only symptom, but it is annoying! Over the years I have learned to control my tinnitus by avoiding high salicylate foods, and steering clear of all teas, including herbal teas, as they contain high levels of salicylate. I also avoid spices and herbs, which brings me to the following question: recently I started taking a supplemental herb that contains fenugreek seed extract. My tinnitus seems worse, but I could be imagining this, as the tinnitus fluctuates all the time. Does anyone on this forum know whether fenugreek seed extract would be high in salicylate? I'm talking about one pill containing 250 mg. of standardized extract.

By the way, I have a little info. that might help someone. When I told my naturopath that I had a salicylate intolerance, he checked me for this, and yes, it is is true, I was way over the top in terms of my intolerance to salicylates! He then prepared a homeopathy for me, which has worked marvelously. I still cannot eat raspberries, but it used to be that I couldn't eat anything except brown rice, beans and peeled pears! (Or at least I didn't feel safe eating anything else.) I have expanded by diet considerably without ill effect. Of course, I still avoid herbs, spices, and all teas. Just water for me, thank you.
    • CommentAuthorGemstone
    • CommentTimeJan 11th 2009

Welcome lana! glad to hear you seem to have a handle over your symptoms.

I think fenugreek probably is high in salicylates, but I'm not 100% sure

Hang on, just looked at this site: http://www.plantpoisonsandrottenstuff.info/content/elimination-diet/salicylates.aspx which has the finding of Anna Swain who did alot of research on sals back in the day.
    and yes it is high in sals, not as super high as some things, but still probably high enough to cause your tinnitus

(I can sympathise with tinnitus btw, feeling like your head is stuck in an industrial electicity factory or something!)

fenugreek = 12.2

compared to

chives = 0.031
    parsley = 0.08

hope this helps!
    much love, Gem
    • CommentAuthorTEDDY
    • CommentTimeJan 15th 2009

According to the list I have from my allergist from the hospital fenugreek is listed as medium as is ginger, horseradish, pimento, tamarind and white vinegar.

Low sals herbs according to my list are - pepper, garlic, chives, cloves, coriander, fennel, nutmeg and parsley

the negligible ones are salt, malt vinegar and saffron

and the high ones on my list are :-

bay leaf, spinich, celery powder, dill, mint, mixed herbs, oregano, rosemary, sage, tarragon and thyme and the high list also includes allspice, aniseed, caraway, cardamom, cayenne and chilli pepper, curry powder, cayenne, cinnamon [I have full allergy to] cumin, mace, garam masala, paprika, turmeric, five spice, mustart [full allergy to for me] herb and spice flavouring.

This is my list from my own allergist and doesnt necessarily mean its right for everyone. Everyone reacts differently but recently I can manage fenugreek but I still cant personally tolerate carrot.

We are all unique!

Take care hope this helps

Teddy
    • CommentAuthorlana
    • CommentTimeJan 26th 2009

Thank you! It's great to be able to acquire information in this way! By the way, I have discovered a little herb in the past few days that has been helpful for me, and might be helpful for others. It's stinging nettle. I was using it to improve my hair (25 drops of tincture mixed with a little water and swallowed, 3x per day) and I noticed my tinnitus went down the entire week that I was using it! I looked up stinging nettle on the Internet, and guess what?! It's an antidote, of sorts, to salicylate!
    • CommentAuthorTeefee61
    • CommentTimeJan 28th 2009

Hi everyone. This list is also useful for me, as tinnitus is also a constant symptom for me. But I only eat parsely, chives and garlic, no herbal teas, although I think camomile is ok.

Tx
    • CommentAuthorljohnson6
    • CommentTimeMar 21st 2009

Wow. this was a lot of information for me. I am starting to see some relativity to my symptoms and what I am having reactions to. Thanks alot. Now I am sure the migraines are from coffee, and things I am inhalling at work. Especially the coffee brewing in the galley area. I am starting to see the connections.

The products people are using in the mornings are very much very clear for me to see the reasons for my reactions. I am going to experiment with the nettles. I was taking this last year and stopped. Recently I noticed my ringing in the ears return intermittently. Just now put the connection with my migraines and reaction to coffee.. I sure have alot of work to do. But I am so thankful to this forum for all the knowlege I am gaining. LuAnn
    • CommentAuthorljohnson6
    • CommentTimeMar 23rd 2009

Tinnitus, hmmm. I have this on and off seems to come and go. Specially noticed if I drink to much coffee and tea. So I am starting to understand this a little. Have had no coffee or black tea today, just chamoille and white tea, pear tea. Is this safe for low sals? I have to have something hot, but I did notice that the perfume and cologne issues was much less today, and with the coffee brewing, I only noticed some slight symptoms. Not as bad as usually. Is this my imagination? I also only have had chicken rice and some potatoe today. Sort of afraid to eat too much at this point. But not hungry just wanting something good to eat. You know something I am not supposed to have. My only assumption is that the ingested sals on top of the inhaled has alot to do with the severity of symptoms??yes??
    • CommentAuthorTeefee61
    • CommentTimeMar 24th 2009

I have a lot of tinnitus, even when I have no other reactions and my diet is very low sal. A lot of things seem to make it worse, but not necessarily high sal foods. Maple syrup, biscuits, and an unknown qty of other things make it more intense. I still haven't worked out exactly what causes it.

T
    • CommentAuthorljohnson6
    • CommentTimeMar 28th 2009

I am also understanding that vitamin B6 and B Complex vitamins may help with tinnitus. It seems alot less for me since I am taking B Vitamins. Careful with B6 as this can be toxic if taken in excess. Should not be taken alone from what I am understanding.
    • CommentAuthorTeefee61
    • CommentTimeMar 29th 2009

Thanks, lj. I didn't know that!

Tx
    • CommentAuthorednashedna
    • CommentTimeMar 30th 2009

B vits do seem to be key for so many things. Wonder if there is a national deficiency?! Wonder if our stressful lives first deplete our bodies and then trigger the allergies...

Muse, muse,ponder.

Jxxxx
    • CommentAuthormsherry5
    • CommentTimeJul 8th 2009

lana, do you know what's in the homeopathic mix that your doctor gave you?
    • CommentAuthorMikeC
    • CommentTimeAug 6th 2009

Hi Lana,

Yes - the homeopathic mix would be very helpful.

Mike C