Not signed in (Sign In)

Vanilla 1.1.2 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    • CommentAuthorlindyd
    • CommentTimeMay 13th 2008

OK
    I am p****d off with all this now.....
    I am totally fed up with feeling unwell and not being able to eat....
    All my research leads me back to one thing.... the lack of usuable
    sulphate in the body can cause all of the symptoms I am getting.
    Even my salicylate problems seem to be related to sulphate.It
    appears that if the PST sulfation pathway is not functioning well
    then the body cannot process the phenolic compounds as fast at they
    consume them hence my feeling of being "toxic" much of the time.
    Sooooooooooo. I am going to be brave and finally do the Epsom Salts
    trial I said on the sulphte site I would do many weeks back...and was not brave enough
    to do.
    My reasearch seems to suggest that the only viable way of getting
    usable sulphate (sulfate) into the body is through the skin as most
    people with sulfite/salicylate/ phenol problems cannot absorb it
    properly through the gut.
    It may work or it may not but at least I tried!
    Today I put half a tablespoon of Epsom Salts in a bowl of warm water
    and put my hand in it for 5 minutes.
    I am still alive!
    Every 3 days I am going to increase the amount of powder and amount
    of skin I put in (I have chosen 3 days as that seems to be the
    processing time for most reactions to show and clear.)
    I will report back on this thread every few days.
    If I don't come back you know I died !!!!!!!!!!!! !

PS I see from a thread a while back that Beth was trying out epsom salts but then the thread stopped anyone know how she got on?
    HUGS Lindy xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxx
    • CommentAuthorTEDDY

Hi Lindy

Sorry dont know how Beth got on with the epsom salts. I am proud of you trying it out and giving it ago. You will be the guinea pig here as if it works for you with the sulphites I might then be brave enough to give it a try but not at moment as too much going on. Just back from dental work so in complete agony and feeling sorry for myself. Hey ho.

Has anyone else on your sulphite site used epsom salts and if so how did they fair?

Sorry you are feeling so fed up. I try to keep positive even although I have so many issues. Especially I think of the children who have the same allergies/intolerances and how it affects their life. At least we are adults and we can moan about it on here to each other! Thank goodness for an outlet for our emotions good and bad Lindy. I feel excited if I get through a pain free day which isnt often but happy when it occurs.

Hope you are A OK and keep us in touch with how it goes.
    Take care will be thinking about you.
    Teddy x
    • CommentAuthorRita

Lindy! You really are brave! I personally do no THINK you will have a bad reaction since sulphite and sulfate are two different chemicals and the human body actually makes this substance, so things should go well with you. However, I am not a doctor nor a chemist so how would I know........I wish you the best of luck and hope the sulfate ends up bringing you the comfort it does to myself. I will be anxiously awaiting your results. And I'll pray that you don't die.
    • CommentAuthorlindyd
    • CommentTimeMay 23rd 2008

Trial Update:
    I started by just soaking my right hand in a quarter tablespoon for 5 minutes.
    Then I increased the dose every 3 days until I was soaking my feet and both hands using about 3 to 4 tablespoons in a medium size bowl of fairly hot water.
    At first there was no adverse reaction.
    2 days ago I had an evening of bad lower stomach cramping and loose bm.
    (definitely not a food reaction, I had not eaten anything differnt and it wasn't a bug)
    I am guessing this was a build up in my system of the magnesium which is known to be laxative. Someone on the sulphite site had cramping and stomach upset when he sat in a bath of Epsom Salts for too long!
    I have been feeling MUCH more positive, clear headed & energetic (this may however be partly due to the fact that I have cut out dairy from my diet though)
    Also my right hand that I have been having so much pain and problem with has improved signifcantly since I have been soaking it in the epsom Salts.
    I did not do my soak yesterday evening to let my stomach settle and today I have once again felt lower, more tired with less energy.
    A coincidence? I don't know but I am going to continue soaking my hands but with a lesser amount of the salts to see if I can stop the stomach reactions. Then I will stop to see if I feel any worse again.
    Rita... you have used the eEsom Salts?? Did you get any stomach reactions and what solution did you use??
    HUGS Lindy xx
    • CommentAuthorRita
    • CommentTimeMay 24th 2008

Hi Lindy. I use the espsom salts all the time. Ya, the loose bm could be associated with the epsom salts as the magnesium is also absorbed. But no, I haven't had any problems with stomach upset or loose bm with the epsom salts. I sometimes even take a magnesium supplement along with my soak. Are you taking any other source of magnesium? I use two parts water to one part epsom salts, which is two cups of epsom salts to 6 cups of water (I increase the water a little) which works for me. Anything less doesn't seem to have any effect.
    • CommentAuthorlindyd
    • CommentTimeMay 25th 2008

Hi Rita
    Wow.. that is a really strong solution... the info I have read suggests half a cup to a whole bath!
    Still...it works for you with no ill effect so is obviously what is right for you.
    I'm not taking any other magnesium supplement (I'm not taking any supplements at all I seem to react to all of them..)
    I am really sensitive to life at the monent ...smells, sounds, touch (althought these have improved a lot since I changed my diet) so I guess even the small amount of magnesium that is getting into my bloodstream is building up.
    I have reduced the solution and my stomach is fine now,. I will gradually increase it again until i get a reaction then I will know how much Ican tolerate.
    HUGS Lindy on a wet Bank Holiday weekend in England!
    • CommentAuthorRita
    • CommentTimeMay 27th 2008

Hi Lindy, ya, it is a strong solution. But I got that recipe from a site that discussed foot baths for autistic children. My body reacts very quickly to the solution and it works very well for me. It's almost like putting my feet in a little bit of heaven I'm so sensitive to it. At least my sensitivities work in the other direction too!
    • CommentAuthorlindyd
    • CommentTimeMay 28th 2008

Unfortunately I have had to abandon the Epsom Salts for now. Even the small amount I was using seems to be causing me problems.
    After the fist bout of lower stomach cramping I stopped using it for a couple of days and my stomach returned to normal. I returned to soaking my hands in a weak solution for another 3 days during which time my stomach after the first day again felt slightly unsettled. Sunday I was woken up in the night with bad lower stomach cramps and loose bm again. I stopped the hand soaks and after my stomach feeling still a little uncomfortable on Monday and Tuesday it is OK again today.
    It just shows that we are all different in our sensitivities with Rita being able to tolerate a very strong dose and I cannot even tolerate a weak dose.
    HUGS Lindy xx
    • CommentAuthorRita
    • CommentTimeJun 3rd 2008

Hey Lindy, just wondering how your epsom salt trials are going.
    • CommentAuthorlindyd

Hi Rita
    I stopped using the Epsom Salts after the 2nd lot of stomach cramps.
    I do intend to have another go but first need to re try some green beans that I ate a couple of times during the trial just in case they were the culprit as others on the sulphite site are having bean problems!
    The beans are sitting in my fridge and the Epsom Salts on my worktop... I am just trying to make myself do it as my stomach is ok a the moment and I know one of them is going to upset it again lol!
    I will report back when I do!
    HUGS Lindy xx
    • CommentAuthorTEDDY

Hi Lindy

I know we all react differently but I am watching to see how you go with the epsom salts. Dont think I will risk trying that out just at the moment. Will be interesting to see how you get on if you are brave enough to try them out again!.

Take care
    Teddy x
    • CommentAuthorbluedaisy
    • CommentTimeNov 26th 2008

I use epsom salts regularly, I do find that it helps but I am scared to increase the dose too much. Does anyone know what is a safe amount to use?
    • CommentAuthorKristen
    • CommentTimeDec 11th 2008

I haven't been here in a long time, and truthfully I STILL don't know what the heck is going on with Coley, BUT treating him with the enzymes and with s.boulardii has improved his quality of life profoundly!

I just wanted to add that we soak Coley in epsom salt with each bath, 1-2x week. 1-2 cups per bath.

Now, he's not having allergic type reactions to foods, his reactions have been more neurological and behavioral. Then tend to impact his appitite which then snowballs into a whole other mess...

But in general, ignoring the sal issues that may exist, epsom salts are a detoxifier and a relaxer. This is why we began using it. Coley breaks out in a rash the day after, but the rest of him improves. The rash eventually subsides. It's some substance coming out of him causing the rash reaction...left inside he does mentally poor.

So I thought I should note this, as your gut may be 'ridding itself' of something....you may want to just dive into a bath and get it over with...of course I understand your anxiety...but thought I should throw out that idea for you to consider.
    • CommentAuthorlindyd
    • CommentTimeDec 11th 2008

Sorry.. I never did get around to retrying the Epson Salts..
    the beans did get re tried and I found that I can tolerate a few occasionally without problems but more than a few give me gas and gas pains..
    If I ever get a spell when I am not reacting at all (I seem to be reacting much more recently) I will give the Epson Salts another go..
    At the moment I am still detoxing after spending last weekend with my daughter and spending the whole of Saturday at a Boden clothing sale with lots of women wearing expensive perfumes and then at a huge new shopping mall..and my daughters house with her fabric conditioners and cleaning products... I thought I had got away with just a little headache but since getting homeI have been feeling really toxic and am finding smells a problem and feeling really sleepy and toxic.
    It didn't help that I had a small amount chocolate when I got home either :)
    Kristen.. interesting to hear about Coleys progress...
    HUGS Lindy xx
    • CommentAuthoraprilapril
    • CommentTimeDec 13th 2008

I found epsom salts randomly a few weeks ago after two years of SS -- and I can't believe there is a live thread here about the salts!! I just get into the tub every night with 8 ounces of salt and it is NOT laxative. Salts are only a laxative if you DRINK them. The baths have changed my life. I can drink red wine and have olive oil again. TRY the salts -- they are working for me and hope they will work for more people!
    • CommentAuthorlindyd
    • CommentTimeDec 14th 2008

Hi aprilapril
    I am really pleased that the Epson Salts are working for you :) Rita here also has had some success with the Epson Salts.
    However, something we have found time and time again here is that we all a have different tolerance levels to things and what is ok for one person it not necessarily ok for another.. I for instance have sulphite problems (sulphite and salicylate issues tend to go together for some people)
    Magnesium sulfate can be laxative (Epson Salts are Magnesium sulphate) because high levels of magnesium tends to have a laxative effect....
    You do NOT have to drink or eat something for it to enter your bloodstream and for it to affect your body and your digestive tract..chemicals can be taken in through the skin and go straight into the bloodstream where they have a much quicker and stronger effect than if they are eaten or drunk. also chemicals can be inhaled again having a much stronger effect than if ingested.
    I personally find that chemicals such as salicylates and sulphites that are inhaled or put on the skin can cause very strong stomach cramps and have a laxative effect.
    Epson Salts in theory sound brilliant.. and I had high hopes for them when i started my trial...however the stomach cramps and upset stomach that resulted was concerning and this has also happened to others who I communicate with who have sulphite issues..
    So...I agree with you that they may work well for some others as they have for you.. I really hope so, but as always would advise caution when first trying them...
    HUGS Lindy xx
    •  
      CommentAuthorvesper7
    • CommentTimeNov 24th 2010

I'm finding that epsom salts work amazingly for me, and no stomach upsets so far. I'll continue using them for the next few weeks and see how I feel.
    • CommentAuthorlindyd
    • CommentTimeNov 24th 2010

That's great vesper.. let us know who you get on..
    Lindy x
    • CommentAuthorpippa
    • CommentTimeNov 24th 2010 edited

I also use epsom salts . I use 2 cups in a bath ( which is the recomandation on the package) soak for 30 mins. and have no problem with with the salts what so ever and find them very helpful. But, as has been said we are all different and everyone has to find what works best for themselves.
    • CommentAuthornanciswell
    • CommentTimeNov 25th 2010

I generally have had great results with epsom salts in a bath.. I have gotten to be more diligent with having big baths with a couple of cups, as it does help make life more bearable. I often paint with a big flat paint brush a solution on my hands, legs as it helps cut the cost . I need to /either have a bath , or a couple of foot baths and the paint job as well or else i notice the lack of it.

I had one bad time , only the once. I wonder that time it was because of an oxalate dump. Oxalates are another group of foods which cause similar difficulties for some people > Epsom salts soaks also help with lowering oxalates, but sometimes too much at one go and this dump makes a person ill.

nanci
    • CommentAuthorbathsalts
    • CommentTimeDec 10th 2010

Named after Epsom, a small English town, Epsom salts have been used both on their own and in skincare and healing products. Epsom salts primarily consist of magnesium sulfate. Magnesium sulfate is a naturally occurring mineral found in water, and is known for its health benefits. Epsom salts are incredibly versatile and they’re affordable, too.

The most popular application of Epsom salts is in the bath – since they dissolve easily, Epsom salts are often used as bath salts, and mixed with fragrances and essential oils. Epsom salts cleanse your skin thoroughly, and can even be used to cleanse your hair (particularly oily hair)– just mix it with your favorite shampoo.
    • CommentAuthorJtoz54
    • CommentTimeDec 14th 2010

A few months ago I tried taking a bath with epsom salts and an hour later I got so dizzy and then threw up. I put too much epsom salts in for the first time. I put 2 cups to a tub of water. They say to work up to it gradually. Like soak your feet in a basin of water with a spoonful. Epsom salt is magnesium sulphate. We dont produce much sulphate so our sulphate receptors are open very wide to absorb what little there is. Suddenly there is a big supply of sulphates when you take a epsom salt bath and too much can make you sick. So be careful when you first begin with just a spoonful in your bath.
    I had an epsom salt footbath for the first time and put approx. 2 tablespoons in a approx 1 litre of water. I did this at night time and about 1.5 days later I have severe joint pain in my knees, ankles and hips. Has anyone ever had I this. I am assuming it was maybe an overdose of salts but am not sure. The only other time I get joint pain is from eating fructans which I definately have not in this time period. HAS ANYONE EVER EXPERIENCED THIS??????

Thanks,

Steven (in anticipation)
    • CommentAuthorJtoz54
    • CommentTimeJan 27th 2011

Hi Steve, never had that reaction. Are you sure you didnt eat something high in sals, cause when I do I feel it in my neck. Take care, Joan
    Thanks Joan,

I have been eating foods high in sals and have been fine (except for the mild fuzziness in the head) for some time now. That is, Lindy suggested I use glucosamine sulphate which I have been now for a few months and they have worked wonders along with Vit C which is also said to help. So, the only conculsion I can make is that it was the epsom salts that caused it. I did not measure what I used but it looked like about 2 tbsps and I had my feet in the solution for about 30min.

Thanks for your comment anyway.

Reg,

Steven
    • CommentAuthorJtoz54
    • CommentTimeJan 27th 2011

When our body is being poisoned with a toxic overload of sals it tries to tell the body in one way, then when we continue eating the sals it gives us another symptom. I had this my whole life, headaches, dizziness, vomiting, fuzzy headed feeling, nosebleeds, but it wasnt until I was older that I started getting achy joints and the last symptom was asthma and shortness of breath.(really bad). Thats when I finally paid attention. If you are eating high sals it could be that you have turned the corner and your body cant take it anymore.
    Before I got off all moderate to very high sals I was having tennis elbow and physical therapy for bursitis in my hip. Then shortness of breath for a month where prednisone and my nebulizer didnt help. 2 days after avoiding sals all of my worst symptoms went away. Its worth a try. My 2 sons (ages 22 and 25) wont give up sals(for rashes, cough, sinusitis etc) so I am trying PHENOL ASSIST with them. They take it when they are eating tomato sauce or something high in sals. Just started 2 days ago, I'll let you know how it goes. Also I am getting them to alkalize by drinking 1/2 tsp of Baking Soda in 1/2 cup water at night to help them excrete sals better. Joan
    • CommentAuthorPossum
    • CommentTimeJan 27th 2011 edited

Hi Steven....
    Steven, soaking your feet for 30 minutes in 1 L of water using 2 tablespoons of Epsom salts will probably give you a much higher dose than soaking your whole body in a bath using 2 tablespoons of Epsom salts, because even though the surface area of skin involved is much smaller it is more than balanced by the higher concentration of Epsom salts.
    • CommentAuthorfionna
    • CommentTimeJan 28th 2011

Just started taking bicarb soda in water once a day as a drink and Epsom salts in soaking bath. No bad reactions. No good ones either.
    thanks guys,

After all the reading on adverse effects of overdosing on epsom salts it appears that my back pain is not one of these symptoms. Joan you may well be right about the sals being the culpret. Even with the glucosamine sulphate and Vit C pills I am going to go back to medium level sals and see what happens.

P.S. what is the longest time anyone has taken panadeine for? I have been having 3 lots of 2 pills for 3 days now to take the edge off my back pain.

Thanks,

Steven
    • CommentAuthorPossum
    • CommentTimeJan 29th 2011

Oooh I wouldn't do that long term...I think they will upset your liver too much (which if I have got this right) inhibits our ability to detox/process sals)
    Are you ok with fish oils? Also avoiding wheat & sugar (both cause inflammation) can help with back pain...
    fish oils are OK - do they help back pain? Don't have wheat as fructose intolerant. I will reduce my sugar as well if you think this will help.

thanks.
    • CommentAuthorPossum
    • CommentTimeJan 29th 2011 edited

No worries - yes fish oils help inflammation majorly...sometimes in a highly inflamed situation such as a sore back, you may need more than a few at a time... Dosage on some is 1-6 of 1000 mgs - I suggest taking 2 every meal for a day or two, then ease back to 1 every meal, then maybe 1 a day, if it is better by then...All the best with that!!
    • CommentAuthorramie
    • CommentTimeJan 29th 2011 edited

To steven goldman - I used to have back and muscle pain that was so bad that I could not tilt my head back to take a drink of water and could not lift my arms above my head with out extreme pain. All I got from medical doctors was to take pain meds or to have surgery to stop the nerve in my shoulder from being compressed. The one thing that made all the difference and worked wonders for me was acupunture with electrical muscle stimulation to the needles. After over a year of extreme pain in the shoulder, a few months of acupunture with electrical stimulation to the muscles around the nerve eliminated the problem. Acupunture is being accepted more and more for its benefits. At first, it was hard to find a good doctor. I had many that just "some what" estimate the meridians and then would stick the needle in and did no muscle stimulation. The best doctor that I have now takes a long time to be sure he has exactly the right spot. When the needle hits it, you know it. Any kind of deep massage that works on the muscles and even acupressure of some sort can be of help. Since I can not always afford this doctor, I also use Tony Little's Massager (on his web site go to the wellness catagory and it is called the Freedom Massager by Homedics) as it is shaped like a boomerang and so you can massage all areas of your upper and lower back by yourself. I also got a prescription for a TENS unit where you can place gel pads on your muscles and then electrically stimutate the muscles on your own. The device was not cheap but my insurance covered it. I just clip it onto my belt and can walk around with it. All of this has helped a lot, my back is so much better and my need for any medication is way down. I hope this can help because long term use of pain medication eventually can make them less affective and also you have to deal with side affects and withdrawal symptoms if you do not continue to take them constantly.
    • CommentAuthorteta
    • CommentTimeNov 30th 2011

Hello to all! I'm Letha. I'm new here and just trying to get well. I'm going to try the epsom salts today. I'm at a point where I'll try anything to help with my food and chemical problems. I suffer from abdominal cramping and diarrhea when I eat foods high in sals. Also, I have to eat gluten free as I have body aches and pains when I eat gluten. I have Samter's Traid Asthma, aspirin and Sulfa drug allergies as well as many other seasonal and mold allergies. I have dry eyes and mouth, cracked lips and am generally itchy most of the time. I'm so sensitive to scents and smells (They trigger an asthma attack) that by avoiding them, I feel I'm becoming a hermit. I'm hoping reducing the sals in my diet and using the epsom salts will help me get straightened out. I'm trying 1tsp in 2 quarts of lukewarm water (as I have a heat allergy as well). I'm hoping that I won't have the laxative effect. I'll let you all know.
    • CommentAuthorJtoz54

Hi Teta, I suffered from migraines, asthma and dry eyes for 30 years. I tried Restasis and even eye plugs before I went low sal. I can honestly say that my migraines, asthma and dry eyes are all better. I still get the dry mouth and lips from time to time though. Also try the baking soda in water if you eat some high sal foods. 1/2 tsp in half a glass of water. Take care, Joan
    • CommentAuthorcjeanbrown

Hi Teta,I know how you feel about those chemicals and smells,I so often want to become a hermit but have a full time job.I worry I won't be able to keep it up because of perfume.That seems petty to the people I work with.I don't have Samters ,I have the aspirin allergy,and asthma but not the nasal polyps,but the chemical sensitivity is intense.Hope you do well with the epsom salts....Jean
    • CommentAuthorPam
    • CommentTimeDec 1st 2011 edited

Lindy,
    Haha I love the last part of your post! Im glad you didn't die from the salt trial! It made me laugh, cause I totally get it and I'm glad someone else does too! I am afraid of the food I eat and the chemicals around me...I know I make my family crazy, cause they don't really care that the little bite of ketchup did not kill me!!!
    Pam :)
    • CommentAuthorlindyd
    • CommentTimeDec 1st 2011

LOL another thread & posts from me popping up this time from 2008!!
    I never did get back to re trialling!
    Funnily enough I did actually buy another pot of Epsom salts a few weeks back which is still sitting in my supplements basket awaiting its turn!
    Will try it again soon to see how my tolerance is now 3 and a half years later - gosh have I really been around here that long ;O)
    Lindy xx
    • CommentAuthorteta
    • CommentTimeDec 2nd 2011

Hello all!
    Thanks to all of you for your encouragement. I have used the epsom salt (1 tsp to 2 quarts water in a foot bath) for 2 days now. I feel a little tired and low for a while afterward but it goes away and I noticed last night that my muscle sensitivity seems less. I think I'll try 2tsps today. I've also been eating frozen peas, rice and canned pears for 2 days to try to give my system a chance to clear out the stored sals. I don't know how much longer I can stand this though. I really don't care for rice much. Maybe I could do the same thing but switch to white potatoes? I like those so much better and seem to handle potatoes fine. what do you all think?
    I found Teta , being an extreme responder , that I could not judge at the beginning as to what was making me ill. It unfortunately took me a few months to calm my system enough to be able to really label something off my list.. www.failsafediet.wordpress.com

Most sites recommend the rice as a better option.. and using white rice instead . I myself even react to uncle Bens and have to have a good organic sushi white rice or my gut is in knots.. It is best to stick to what is recommended for the first bit of eliminating in order to really get your symptoms understood.. I now know when I need to have epsom salts and when my body could use another supplement in order to stop the pain.. It can be alot of work and takes patience to nurse ourselves back to health..

Another food group is oxalates Potatoes are also high in oxalates and if you have oxalate problems then you would not always know that you are reacting as with an oxalate problem it is not an immediate reaction.. Oxalates build up so it is another thing to consider.. http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/Trying_Low_Oxalates/message/67446
    • CommentAuthorteta
    • CommentTimeDec 2nd 2011 edited

Nanci
    Thanks for your quick answer to my question. I'll try to keep up with the rice and peas then. :(
    • CommentAuthorcarlat
    • CommentTimeDec 2nd 2011

I thought id also give the Epsom salts a go and also had a very bad reaction - heart papitations, hot flushes, trouble sleeping, red eyes. I did use the whole box which probably wasnt the smartest thing to do, so much for dipping my toe!

I was reading through the articles posted by Marie about Mastocystosis and it mentions if you're reaction is mast cell activate heat (as well as alcohol) are two factors which can aggrevate this. My bath was very hot bath and am now wondering if the heat was infact the culprit instead of the Epsom salts? Just a thought....ill retry in a few days time and let you know how it goes...
    I find drinking hot as opposed to room temp water sets off my stomach.. ie mast cells?

And yes only 1 tablespoon per bath tub full !!!
    • CommentAuthorcarlat
    • CommentTimeDec 3rd 2011

Yes, I think I may have been a little bit over enthusiastic! :)

Nancy, have you tried a mast cell stabiliser like ketotifen? Im about to start on sodium chromoglycate, hopefully if this is mast cell activated it should have the same effect.....
    I have a few nalcrom doses.... { canadian name of sodium chrom I think??} // Too afraid to try it.. maybe in the new year..
    • CommentAuthorcarlat
    • CommentTimeDec 5th 2011

Good luck if you decide to give it a go. My fingers are crossed for you!