Not signed in (Sign In)

Vanilla 1.1.2 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    • CommentAuthorkkcarlton
    • CommentTimeFeb 17th 2008

Hi All, I am new here and I have no idea if I have a problem with salicylates but I have been dealing with daily headaches, backaches, and calf pain for a while now so I am searching for causes. I make my own skin care products and was wondering if anybody knows if Jojoba oil, avocado oil, and hemp see oil are high in salicalates and are they safe to use topically? I saw the post on sheah butter so I assume that's ok?!

Thanks,
    ~K
    • CommentAuthorkkcarlton
    • CommentTimeFeb 17th 2008

Oh, and also carrot seed oil.
    • CommentAuthorBeth
    • CommentTimeFeb 18th 2008

avocado is relatively high in salicylates I think so I wouldn't use the oil either personally. Carrots are moderate in salicylate but from some things I've read a lot of salicylate sensitive people can sometimes tolerate them alright...so carrot seed oil is maybe ok but I'm not sure. As for the other oils I have no idea...I'm sorry. I guess sometimes the best thing is to carefully try them out individually and see if you react to any of them, but really it depends on how adventurous you are feeling.
    • CommentAuthorTEDDY
    • CommentTimeFeb 18th 2008

Hi Kkcarlton

As Beth said everyone tolerates different things but for me personally I am so sensitive I cannot tolerate any oils and I can only use doublebase prescribed by my GP for an alternative to soap, shaving and moisture cream so hope that you find something that suits you. I cannot tolerate carrot or jojoba or avocado and I could not tolerate shea butter.

Happy hunting
    Take care
    Teddy
    • CommentAuthorlindyd
    • CommentTimeMar 29th 2008

Hi
    I use a lot of lavender oil.. I put it in my body lotion etc...(I actually trained in Aromatherapy many years ago)
    You would then think I would know this.. but I don't lol!
    Does anyone know if Lavender essential oil is high in salicylates? I stumbled across something when researching something else that said it is.. but I can't find anything else that confirms this.
    It is part of the mint family which does make me suspect it is..
    If so it could explain some of the mystery reactions I am still getting...
    If it isn't I will be very pleased!
    HUGS Lindy xx
    • CommentAuthorRita
    • CommentTimeMar 29th 2008

Hi Lindyd. I've read several sources that say the lavender contains salicylates, and I know from experience, if I get a whiff of it, it gives me a reaction. Here is one source that says it does. http://www.voxau.com/fib/fibro/51sal3.htm
    • CommentAuthorlindyd
    • CommentTimeMar 30th 2008

Thanks Rita
    I am intrigued by the information on the site you gave about salicylates being most hrrmful when they are taken in through the skin but not so much in foods????
    Can anyone tell me more??
    I had assumed that this was mostly a food problem....I know I have problems with some smells and I do realise that what goes on the skin is often absorbed but hadn't really thought too much about the lotions I use as I use a lot of natural products.
    Hugs Lindy xx
    • CommentAuthorRita
    • CommentTimeMar 30th 2008 edited

LIndyd, off hand, I believe that I have read that salicylates absorped through the skin travel directly to the blood stream. Since they are not digested, they do not have to pass through the liver for filtration, and thus, are supposed to have ten times the chemical potancy than ingested salicylates. I was using acne pads which contained 98% salicylic acid when all my problems started, and if I use lotions containing sals, I get a really bad reaction. That is why epsom salts work so well and so quickly, the sulfate is absorbed right through our skin.
    • CommentAuthorlindyd
    • CommentTimeMar 30th 2008

Thanks Rita
    I think I need to review my body care products.... it may explain why I am still getting a lot of reactions even tho I am on a low sal diet!
    I will let you know what happens.
    HUGS Lindy xx
    • CommentAuthorRita
    • CommentTimeMar 31st 2008 edited

LIndyd, if you read the sticky thread on "Suggestions on Steps" you will find some helpful information on how to go about reaching your maximum wellness potential. It suggests there to eliminate all salicylates in personal products. I know for myself that leg pain and cramping were one of my lingering sypmtoms, and finally traced it to the aloe vera in my soft hand soap. DUUUUU, how dumb could I get. The answer was right in front of my face, but I had to actually stop to read the label.
    • CommentAuthorTEDDY
    • CommentTimeApr 1st 2008

I cant use any essential oils or body products, shaving stuff etc only use doublebase available on prescription in UK - it also helps my dry skin issue
    Teddy
    • CommentAuthorlindyd
    • CommentTimeApr 1st 2008

Hi Teddy
    Can you let me know the ingredients list on the doublebase please?
    I might ask my doc for some.
    I went around the shops yesterday and the rubbish that is in the hypoallergenic products on sale is unbelievable... even the hypoallergenic baby stuff is full of parabens and other nasty stuff!The "natural" ranges all have aloe vera or essential oils.Even the non mint toothpastes have aloe vera!I got some E45 lotion and wash lotion for now but it has liquid paraffin which I really don't want to use.
    I am going to put away all of my natural body care items for a few weeks to see if it makes a difference. I really love them and really want to put natural stuff on my skin rather than chemical but I will see what is best.
    Oh why isn't life more simple!.. all I want to do is eat and wash...it's so frustrating! LOL
    Thanks Lindy xx
    • CommentAuthorTEDDY
    • CommentTimeApr 2nd 2008

Tell me about it Lindyd

Just off to docs at moment will let you know ingredients when I get back. Now dealing with a sprained ankle and ligament tear on top of everything else. Might take my mind of some of my other issues!

Take care
    Teddy x
    • CommentAuthorTEDDY

Hi Lindy

Ingredients are :-

glycerol
    carbomer
    sorbitan laurate
    triethanolamine
    phenoxyethanol
    purified water

It comes in a pump dispenser
    Doublebase 500g

It does contain liquid paraffin and isopropyl myristate which is the 'live' ingredients if you like but it is the only thing that I dont react badly to. When I use it - it is to replace soap, shaving, and as a moisturiser for my seriously dry skin. It was not my hospital allergy clinic that put me on it but a hospital that I went to for skin patch testing and they also at the time told me to try epaderm which I reacted badly to so for me personally the doublebase works. If I put it on my face it does make it red and blotchy but then it dies down so for me It is best option as my dry skin is so severe it is painful and cracks. I have been trying to drink lots of water and will be more happy to do so now as you explained the difference between the sulphates and sulphites. If I stop using it for any reason, say I run out my skin immediately becomes cracked and itchy and red blotches so it may not suit you if you cant tolerate liquid paraffin. The amount of lp is 15% w/w

Hope this helps.

Teddy

p.s. my blood pressure is still up it was 140 something over 90 something. Not good. Wish they could get this under control no wonder I am getting headaches and dizzy spells.

Need to go as my daughter isnt well today and has a high temperature. Very sick after her dinner last night so dont know if it was something she ate. She is vegetarian and had something to different so could be that! Need to go .take care teddy
    • CommentAuthorRita

Les, If I were you, I would not be using Doublebase on account of the phenoxyethanol. It is a preservative, and from the looks of it, a very strong one. Did you not say your hands were weak? How long have you been using it? Did your high blood pressure start at the same time? I think you need to read this.

2-Phenoxyethanol, used as an anesthetic for handling small fish at a salmon hatchery, caused three women to experience headache and symptoms of intoxication during use, followed by diminished sensation and strength of hands and fingers, worse in the preferred hand. Persistent neuropathy did not develop in any of them. After 1 to 2 years of exposure, the women manifested gradual onset of symptoms of cognitive impairment with an inability to work. Neuropsychologic testing verified that all three had focal cognitive impairments that persisted. One also had documented labyrinthine hypofunction, which originated during this exposure. The immediate and delayed effects of 2-phenoxyethanol on the central nervous system resemble those of the other organic solvents.
    • CommentAuthorTEDDY
    • CommentTimeApr 3rd 2008

Hi Rita

I will stop using it immediately after you telling me this. I am so shocked. Will need to show this to my GP and find an alternative as the dry skin isnt just a bit dry it is severe for me.

Thanks for this Rita you are a fountain of knowledge and I dont know what I would do without you.

Hope you are doing well. Take care
    Teddy
    • CommentAuthorPossum
    • CommentTimeDec 23rd 2010

Revisiting this thread...Yeah my problems intensified since trying natural products!! Almond oil I am really allergic to & aloe vera!! Both are in so many of these "safe" products...in fact hard to find anything that doesn't have either of them in it...??!!

Wondering too if Eucalyptus oil has sals in it? Seemed to react when sniffing it while trying to clear the stuffy nose that I got from being over exposed to the essential oils a customer slathered on herself a week ago...
    • CommentAuthorcjeanbrown
    • CommentTimeDec 25th 2010

I think eucalyptus is used in alot of these menthol preperations,I would say we should stay away from it,Jean
    • CommentAuthorPossum
    • CommentTimeDec 25th 2010

Thanks!! I kinda thought it probably wouldn't be advisable...
    • CommentAuthorPossum
    • CommentTimeJan 30th 2011

So does anyone know if avocado &/or jojoba oil are low sals?
    according to this database, both do.

http://psha-inc.com/guai-support/sf/sal-free/other_databases/sal-full.htm

A small amount of jojoba oil usually doesn't bother me too much. But i'm using a lot at work (I'm a massage therapist), and I've started getting really sal sick from it.
    • CommentAuthorPossum
    • CommentTimeJan 31st 2011

Thanks MA; No good is it when we have to expose ourselves to high sals at work??!! :-(
    I didn't see rice bran oil there...(another one I am thinking of) I use it but not sure if I should...
    if i remember correctly, rice bran oil is ok. If you pull down the menus at the top, you can get a sal-free list, a sal-full list, and a few other cool lists. The sal-free list has rice bran oil.
    • CommentAuthorPossum
    • CommentTimeJan 31st 2011 edited

Cheers MA...Hmmm?? I have looked all through the lists I could find but didn't see rice bran or any "sals free list"...??? I can access the food lists & some other lists in "product guide"... Products that often contain Salicylates... & Terms/Ingredients to Avoid...also: Brand Names of Common Drugs containing Salicylates
    here is the direct link. It is in the 4th drop down menu called "other data bases"

http://www.psha-inc.com/guai-support/sf/Sal-Free/Ingredients.htm#Landing
    • CommentAuthorlindyd
    • CommentTimeFeb 1st 2011

Remembering that this is the list for people taking a product called guaifenesin for fibromyalgia and these are ingredients that will not " block guaifenesin". This group do not believe that sals in foods are a problem only sals that are in products put on the skin or in medications etc..
    • CommentAuthorJtoz54

I feel sorry for them that they dont believe that they are effected by the sals in food. I was misdiagnosed with Fibromyalgia years ago. It was avoiding sals that finally helped me get a lot better. However the Guai-Support site has a great list of toiletries that are sal free. Years ago I didnt realize that my chapped lips were constantly aggravated by my lipstick or menthyl containing chapstick or blistex. The Guai site gave me a list of sal free lip glosses. The L'oreal Juice gloss is good.
    I dont know about Jojoba oil or Avacado but I did get a bad rash from Carrot oil.

I have been using Lavender Baby oil everyday as soon as I get out of the shower for at least 6 yrs. Could this be responsible for some of my still lingering symptoms. Talk about DUH! Joan
    • CommentAuthorjeniferm

The Guai website is the hardest site to figure out. Their user interface leaves much to be desired. ugh
    lavender is a part of the mint family of plants. I would be careful joan. I occasionally use lavender oil when I burn myself. While it is worth it for the burn, it does make me a bit dizzy from the sals.
    • CommentAuthorJtoz54

Thanks MA, I avoid all mint like the plague but didnt know lavender was related. Joan
    the mint family is one of the largest plant families. If you are really motivated, there are whole books on the mint family in many book stores and libraries.
    • CommentAuthorPossum

Even chia seeds are related, apparently... (didn't know that one??!! *rolls eyes*')
    i didn't know that.... i was contemplating giving chia seeds a test run. guess that is out!
    • CommentAuthorPossum
    • CommentTimeFeb 2nd 2011

Well, I don't think I have ever had any problems with them!! I have used them for about a year - only recently discovered that connection?! Must be only a distant relation?! I'd give them a go if I were you - they are amazingly sustaining & versatile - I can keep going all day on a couple of serves ;-)
    This is my first post here - but I've been battling a sal sensitivity since this past summer - took a while to narrow it down and now figure out what's safe and what's not. I elimiated foods first, and am only now trying to address heath/beauty products. Ugh. Looking for a safe oil I can use for body care. Will check out those links!
    • CommentAuthorlindyd
    • CommentTimeMar 8th 2011

Hi Christina
    Welcome! There is a lot of information on this site about body care products if you have the time to search ...and you can ask any questions you have.. hopefully someone will have an answer :o)
    Lindy x
    Thanks Lindy - I'm getting used to the format of the site and having a little trouble finding things - but I'll keep looking. I've been using the food chart for months, but just now researching more. Glad I found the forum!