Not signed in (Sign In)

Vanilla 1.1.2 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    • CommentAuthorawe124
    • CommentTimeApr 2nd 2010

Of the moderate section it says fresh tomato is moderate for ss and a tomato is high?

What in the world seems to be the difference on the list...
    Haven't noticed that before but I can not eat any processed tomatoes at all, but can get away with fresh ones sometimes in small amounts,I always thought maybe they are more concentrated after being processed,Jean
    • CommentAuthorRita
    • CommentTimeApr 5th 2010 edited

Maybe it has to do with canned vs. fresh. Canned is higher because of the preservatives added and the stuff in the lining of the can.
    • CommentAuthorTracy
    • CommentTimeMay 26th 2011

Just found this on the food database "Note: the salicylate content in fresh tomatoes is relatively low, but canned tomatoes and processed tomato sauces have high levels of this compound."
    i always boil them briefly to remove the skins. I don't know if it helps lower the sal content, but I can get away with some fresh tomato if I have been good! occasionally i will cook it down for spaghetti!
    • CommentAuthorruthb
    • CommentTimeMay 28th 2011

I also remove the seeds along with the skins, if I am going to use them, which is seldom these days. I have heard roma tomatoes are the lowest salicylate level of all the varieties. I think my son has had bigger reactions to cherry tomatoes, and I am thinking that is because you get more skin per volume consumed, and salicylates are highest in the skin.
    • CommentAuthorFantazmic
    • CommentTimeJun 4th 2011

So logically if i grew my own tomatoes and then cooked them down to make my own sauce I could eat them.....if I am being good because the sal content would be relatively low.....

Yipppeeeeeeee roll on vege garden lol

I am doing ridiculous hours till september and then i go on to part time with any luck and I am going to be starting my own vege garden growing my own food I am sick of supermarket tasteless yuck that is so expensive....